Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Teach others about lateral violence

Please visit Youtube by clicking the link listed below and you will find a video with three examples of lateral violence, retaliation, bullying, and exclusion. Below the link you will find a suggestion on how to use these vignettes in order to teach others about lateral violence as well as alternate responses when encountering lateral violence. Please leave us your feedback, and ENJOY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCRBaLHR1k

How to use these vignettes to teach about Lateral or Horizontal Violence: (approx. 1 hour)

1. Show the video and ask the participants to note if lateral violence occurred. (approx. 2 min)
2. Divide the participants into groups of 4-6. Assign one of the vignettes and ask them to discuss their findings. (approx. 5 minutes)
3. Ask the group to come up with other ways to deal with the assigned scenario. (approx. 10 minutes)
4. Ask the group to role play the alternate way to deal with the lateral violence noted in the video. (approx. 15 minutes)
5. Encourage the group to first discuss what went well, then what could have been done different. (approx. 15 minutes)
6. Report the techniques discussed and the findings with the entire group. (approx. 30 minutes)


Assertive Techniques to address the lateral violence noted in the videos:

Retaliation: broken confidences, complaining about a person without directly speaking to them:
“It upsets me to think that you spoke to ______ without my permission.”
“I don’t feel right talking about ______ without them present. Have you addressed these issues with them?”
“That sounds like information that should remain confidential.”

Bullying: a nurse not making self available for clarification:
“When you leave before report has been listened to it leaves me with questions. Help me understand what can be done to assist with report and avoid unanswered questions.”
“I know you and I are both concerned with the safety of our patients. When you leave before I listen to report, I am fearful our patients will not get the best care possible. Let’s talk about a way for us to work together in order to best take care of our patients.”

Exclusion: leaving out the new nurse, refusing to assist with needed tasks:
“I sense that there is something you would like to say about working with me. I don’t mind if you would like to talk to me about that.”
“I see you are unavailable to assist me with nursing tasks. Is there some way we can work together in which both of us are able to assist one another in order to provide the best possible nursing care.”

No comments: