Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Please share your stories of Lateral Violence.... Here is one of mine

Being a nursing instructor I have heard and seen many acts of lateral violence. The other day a few of my students were talking about a nurse at a local hospital they call "Nurse Ratchet". Most of the students knew of this one nurse and had horrible stories to share. I was in shock, probably because I am naive. They all were negatively impacted by one nurse, incredible. Do we even think about what we are doing to our future? If not, we need to start!

I sat during clinical in awe and yet I too remembered a time where I was a victim of lateral violence. It was my first job, in an inpatient psychiatric unit. I was off over the weekend and on Monday, was dealing with a specific patient for the first time. The nurses gave me a vague report on the patient and away I went, ready to save the world. While giving medications, I noticed the nurses gathering behind the nurse's station, but didn't question the situation. I went into the milieu to give this patient medication. The patient was helping another staff member move chairs for group. I gave the patient medication, he placed them in his hand, took his hand to his mouth, and looked as though he took the meds. However, I noticed that he was holding his hand, the one I put the medication in, differently. I asked the patient to open his hand, when he did, there were the medications. I told him he then needed to take the medication, he did, I double checked, and then went to document the situation. There were 4 staff members sitting behind the nurses station clapping. What they didn't share in report (purposely? maybe) is that this patient tried to "cheek" his medications this weekend as well. They wanted to see if I noticed. I am scared to think about my possible experience on that unit if I would have "failed" their test. WE ALL NEED TO STAND UP AGAINST LATERAL VIOLENCE!!!!!

I ask you to please comment and share your stories, the good, bad, and ugly. It is liberating and worth it if we reach just one person.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lateral violence is a sad scenario that happens all too often. The problem can become so serious that nurses can and do lose their jobs as a result by both quitting or being forced out.

I believe I witnessed three instances of lateral violence in our workplace in just the last year. Two of those nurses lost their positions after being "ganged" up on by fellow nurses. Unfortunately, the managers involved were active participants in what was going on. Sadly, these two nurses between them had never had a single patient complaint. One nurse I considered to be the most skilled nurse on the unit. A third nurse was able to remove herself as a target by taking active measures to protect herself but she paid a high emotional price. All three nurses took excellent care of their patients but were apparently disliked by some of their fellow co-workers.

In many instances, middle and upper management in nursing can do a lot to stop this problem. By maintaining high standards of patient care and keeping focused on the patient, the temptation of other nurses to "go after" some of our most skilled and valued nurses can be minimized.

The sad part of lateral violence is as nurses, one of our most important jobs is patient advocacy. Unfortunately, when lateral violence occurs, very often it is the patient who loses in the end.